Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Meeting with Capital Planning Designers of WSU

I was fortunate enough to give a quick and dirty presentation of my design plans for the 1-bedroom apartment and common space on the 2nd floor of St. Elmo's hotel to Jennifer Reynolds, Joanie Thomas, and Stacy Gravel, interior designers working for WSU. The common space presentation seemed rather seamless; I think they went with me on the water feature, fire place, and private entrances for the apartments. However, when I proposed using 3 Form materials for the private entry doors Stacy stated that the expense would be great. I took that into consideration because it seems a rather expensive feature should be displayed prominently and publicly. This business venture is a small boutique with local and small tourism patrons and little focus on the materials used to create this built environment. I plan to replace the 3 Form resin doors, possibly continuing the theme of recycled lath from the wall to the door. I have been and may remain vexed over the south wall the 1-bedroom apartment (insert sigh here). I struggled with trying to put 2 lavatories in the bathroom, arranging the shelving near the entrance, and maneuvering the kitchen island as to not impede traffic. First of all, the designers agreed that I do not need 2 lavatories for a 1-bedroom apartment. The second suggestion they had was to merge the kitchen island into the counter space and make a peninsula. Finally, they advised that I should adjust the swing of the door since it's layout is a bit awkward. I am taking all of these suggestions and flying with them. The picture given here tells the tale of my south wall dilemma. I've settled on the lavatory setup and I'm drafting up a new entryway in connection with the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment